I have always enjoyed traveling, even if it meant sleeping in a tent when I was younger. I prefer hotels and cruise cabins now, but the motivation is the same...an adventure waiting to happen. Sometimes you will find me traveling with my husband and/or family. Sometimes I will travel alone, and sometimes I will travel with friends. I hope you find it entertaining to keep up to date with me as I explore the world around me. Warning...I like to take pictures of food so don't read if you're hungry. More adventures await...see ya soon...Amy.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

London: Arrival and Sightseeing

We flew to London today on Delta airlines and this has got to be the most uneventful series of flights I have ever had with Delta! Our flights were on time and our bags arrived with us. Maybe I can take Delta off of my bad list now. We arrived in London Heathrow around 11:20 pm. After making our way through customs and picking up our suitcases, we proceeded to the Underground where I had decided I wanted to try that route to get to the hotel instead of acquiring a taxi. This was a great idea! It took us about 30 minutes to take the Picadilly line straight from the airport (where it dead ends) to the Earl's Court station. We did not even have to change lines! We walked from the train station to our hotel, The Nadler Kensington. This used to be Base2Stay where we have stayed twice before, but now it is under new ownership. Our rooms were ready and after freshening up just a bit, we left to see some sights and get our bodies into the sunlight. The best way to combat jetlag and reset your body clock is NOT to go to sleep when you arrive but to hit the pavement and expose your body to sun. This will affect your natural hormone production in a positive way and help your body adjust well to the new time zone. We had planned to have some lunch, but Westminster was closing earlier than I expected so we decided to skip lunch altogether. We had eaten the plane meals and weren't very hungry anyway. We got on the tube going the wrong way and had to jump off and go back to find the correct ride. This was my fault but I usually make a few errors early on with public transit. We went to Westminster Abbey because I wanted Maddie to see where the new King of England would be crowned. This will happen in her lifetime and it's always kind of cool to say "Hey, I've been there! Westminster Abbey stretches back 1000 years in history and since 1066 it is has been the site of every Royal Coronation except for two, Edward the V and Edward the VIII. It is a very beautiful Gothic style church with such pretty stained glass. Photos inside are not allowed and we were so disappointed. I told Maddie that she would just have to soak it up and sear it into her memory. After leaving Westminster, we walked on a bridge over the river Thames. We took turns taking pictures of each other with Big Ben and Parliament in the background. We then crossed back over the bridge and walked along the river toward the Embankment stop. I was curious about a brightly colored area that I had read about while researching for this trip. Neal's Yard was just something pretty to see but wasn't near as pretty as what I had seen on the internet. I was disappointed! We left there and went to nearby Covent Garden to find some ice cream! We wanted the Thornton's ice cream we had tasted in the past, but it wasn't located there anymore. Instead we ate Venchi gelato which is a company from Italy. Their gelato was amazing and we enjoyed every bit of the tiny scoops. Maddie got 2 little scoops of coffee gelato, Debbie chose milk chocolate and strawberry and I had just one tiny scoop of 72% cocoa dark chocolate. It was very refreshing and we stopped on our way back to the Underground to watch a pair of outdoor jugglers/performers that had drawn a crowd. They were very entertaining! We got back on the tube and stopped to see Piccadilly Circus before going back to the hotel for dinner. This was where I left Debbie and Maddie standing on the side of the platform when the doors closed behind me on the train car before they could get on. Thankfully Maddie had heard me say the name of the stop we were headed to as I smiled and waved goodbye to them. I waited for them at the next stop which was our stop near the hotel, Earl's Court. We went down the street to Zizzi's which is one of my favorite Italian restaurants here. They have several locations. We managed to get through dinner without falling asleep in our plates. After dinner, it was a short walk back to the hotel where we were given little boxes of chocolates in celebration of Maddie's 18th birthday and her graduation. It was a sweet gesture and we are now in our respective rooms preparing for a full whirlwind day tomorrow! Until then.....

No comments:

Post a Comment